Baby Monster Hat

Baby Monster Hat
Monster hat- picture by Stacy's Photography

Friday, February 22, 2013

Crochet little girl newsboy hat pattern

Okay, so this pattern is just based on memory, so it is very basic and requires some crochet knowledge in order to understand.

I made this pattern for adult and child, but I sold the child size to a neighbor so I can only reference my adult hat.  Here goes.

Ch 4, sl st together
Row 1:  CH1, SC in center loop 9 x (total 10) continue in a round
Row 2:SC 2 in next st around (total 20)
Row 3*HDC in next stitch, HDC twice in next st* around (total 30) 
Row 4*HDC in next 2 stitch, DC twice in next st* around (total 40)- for a baby this might be a good place to stop and start your puff stitches.
Row 5*HDC in next 3 st, HDC twice in next st* around (total 50) 
Row6*HDC in next 4 st, HDC twice in next st* around (total 60)
Row 7*HDC in next 5 st, HDC twice in next st*around (total 70)-  (You are going to have to make adjustments to # of st, because I am not going to even pretend to remember what I did exactly.  Also, this can be adjusted depending on the head size and how far you want the hat to come forward.)
Now this is where I don't know the number of stitches.  Create any puff type stitch or cluster.  I think Row 8-10 I crochet dc3tog in the same st. around. I think I did it for 3 rounds. (this should not actually decrease the stitch count)
Row 11 *HDC in next 5 st, HDC2tog in next st* around (60)
Row 12*HDC in next 4 st, HDC2tog in next st* around (50)  (this is my hat size when I use the HDC- yours may vary so please adjust up or down until you get a size that fits for you.
Row 13-15*HDC around for next 2 or 3 rows.  Depending on what you need.

Now make a hat brim.  I do them different all the time, depending on what I need, so here is just a quick reference.
Ch 25, Ch1 sc in second ch from hook (count as first st).  sc 23 x more.  ch1 turn.   sc, sc2tog, sc 18 x, sc2tog, sc.  ch1 turn, sc, sc2tog, sc 16x, sc2tog, sc.  ch1 turn, sc, sc2tog, sc 14x, sc2tog, sc. ch1 turn, sc, sc2tog, sc 14x, sc2tog, sc.  Put wrong sides together and stitch the bill to the hat.

Make a rectangle (I totally just had mom-brain and forgot what they are called).  ch 31, turn, sc in second ch from hook now and throughout) sc down.  *Ch1, turn sc in second ch from hook now and throughout) sc down.* Repeat three more times.  leave a long tail and use that to stitch to the hat above the brim. 

Make your favorite flower. attach to the edge of your rectangle thing.  (when I remember what it is called I will fix this, but for now just laugh)- A button would also be cute here.  Weave in all your ends and you are done. 

Hopefully this at least gave you some ideas to go from.


 For the pink hat, I separated my textured st.  I did row 1-3 the same, then I did row 8.  Continue with rows 5 and 6 (take special notice and add or decrease hdc in order to get the right stitch look.  I purposely made mine lumpy because i like that look. Do row 8 again, Do row 7 3 times, or row 7 then hdc around, Row 8, then rows 11-15.  (or something like that)
 
Sorry this is such a crazy pattern, but I was not in the habit of writing them down.  When I remake my hats, I will write it down and correct any mistakes.  Enjoy and hopefully you can at least get a base idea of what you can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment